Volunteers are the life force of the Humane Society of Sarasota County. Their work enables us to magnify our impact and save more lives.
To volunteer with the Humane Society of Sarasota County, you must be at least 18 years old. Teens ages 12-17 can apply for Teen Club. Please review the essential capabilities listed below and follow the directions to get started.
Are you a current volunteer or a volunteer in training? Click Here.
**Volunteers are allowed back on campus; however, we are limiting the total number of volunteers permitted at one time, and we are only allowing existing volunteers to return right now. If you applied to be volunteer before the pandemic and have not completed orientation, you will receive instructions from Mandy Ray on when you can expect to begin your training. Thank you for your patience.**
Essential Capabilities for Individual Volunteering at HSSC
Volunteering at HSSC requires certain skills and abilities. Essential capabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Uphold the mission, vision, and values of HSSC.
- Commit to volunteering 50 hours per year.
- Able to work independently.
- Willing to work as part of a team.
- Have a professional appearance and positive attitude.
- Willing to learn and use VolunteerHub, our online volunteer scheduling system.
- Able to take instructions and follow safety protocols.
- Able to work with cleaning chemicals.
- Able to stand, walk, bend, kneel, and crouch unassisted.
Specific Volunteer roles may have additional requirements.
Please note that HSSC is not an approved agency for adult, court-ordered community service.
There are many ways to pitch in at HSSC:
- Adoption Support: Welcome visitors, guide them through the initial sign-in process, and personally escort potential adopters to the dog or cat areas. You may also assist with answering the phone, filing, handing out food at the pet pantry, and with general office duties.
- Kennel Support: Help with canine enrichment; do cleaning, laundry, and dishes; help maintain the play yards; clean and organize Big MAC; prep food for Meals on Wheels distribution; and other duties. Requires handling soiled items. Indoor and outdoor opportunities.
- Canine Companion: Walk, train, spend one-on-one time with, and play with all types of dogs. Learn to work on behavior modification plans with certain dogs. Even take dogs on excursions or staycations. Additional training required to do canine matchmaking or work at offsite events.
- Feline Friend: Provide human companionship, interactive playtime, and socialization to help each cat cope with shelter stress and the disruption of their daily routines. Additional training required to do feline matchmaking or work at offsite events.
- Matchmaker: Match potential adopters with the perfect HSSC dog or cat for their lifestyle.
- Events: Represent HSSC at fundraising special events and community events (“offsites”) by handling adoptable animals and assisting with event tasks like check-in and auction bid spotting.
Volunteers also help manage the Donation Bank Program, lend their photography and videography skills to promote adoptable animals, distribute food at our weekly Pet Pantry Program, take animals for Staycations or Excursions, and help keep the shelter running smoothly in countless ways.
- Sunday: 8am–12pm
- Monday: 8am–3pm
- Tuesday–Friday: 8am–6pm
- Saturday: 8am–4pm
You may also be interested in these other HSSC volunteer opportunities:
If you feel you have the time, passion, and dedication to work with our organization, Click Here to Apply. You will need to create a VolunteerHub account.
After applying, the next steps include:
- Attending a Volunteer Information Session (held at HSSC).
- Completing a 30-minute interview about your application, the programs you're interested in, and the program-specific requirements.
- Paying a one-time $35 volunteer fee, which covers the cost of your volunteer t-shirt, name badge, insurance coverage, and training materials.
- Completing program-specific training.
If you have questions, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Mandy Ray, at 941.955.4131 x113.