How HSSC is Preparing for Tropical Storm Elsa
July 5, 2021
As we monitor Tropical Storm Elsa's progress, we want to let everyone know how the Humane Society of Sarasota County is preparing for the storm. We have a detailed disaster plan and are acting according to the storm's progression. At this time we are not planning to evacuate our shelter animals, but we are taking every possible step to ensure their safety.
- The shelter will close early tomorrow, July 6, at 12:30pm.
- The Animal Clinic will close early tomorrow, July 6, at 12:30pm.
- Afternoon volunteer shifts at the shelter are cancelled. Morning shifts remain open.
- We will continue to make updates on both social platforms (Facebook & Instagram) as we evaluate the projected paths.
- Bring all pets inside and ensure you have three days' supply of food and water, vaccination records, medications, and carrier/leashes in case of an evacuation order. Never leave your pets behind.
- Please familiarize yourself with the various resources about hurricane preparedness. Not all emergency shelters accept pets, so please plan ahead!
- HSSC cannot accept owned pets for emergency sheltering.
- Sarasota County's Emergency Preparedness Page.